If you are not on a medical keto diet and don’t doubt your willpower, then leaving keto for one day is not a problem. It works if you have already passed the keto-adaptation! You can return to keto the very next day. Read on to learn more!
You still don’t want to get out of keto. So, it’s worth giving up a whole series of products and meals. You may also use the best keto pills to improve your keto diet results. If you are wondering what to eat on a keto diet, stay with us, and we will tell you all the details.
You should avoid all meals that include non-recommended foods while eating out on a keto diet:
- Any starches (used in dressing and sauces)
- Flour, except permitted, but you are unlikely to find low-carb flour in a restaurant.
- Potatoes, cereals, etc.
- Of course, all bakery products and pastry delights.
- Juices, smoothies, cocktails, and anything else except tea and water. Choose tea without additives!
If you do not know if the meal you ordered contains carbohydrates, you need to sort it out and search for each component on the Internet or the mobile application. Yes, it takes a long time; however, you should keep in mind your keto diet plan.
Well, if the menu has macros indicators, use them but look at the composition. If the dish contains more than 5-10 grams of carbohydrates per 100 grams of the meal, it is better to avoid it. If it includes non-recommended product categories, but few carbohydrates are shown, the compilers may have made a mistake.
If you summarize this list of products, you can trace an obvious analogy with store-ready meals. If the food is complicated, and even more so, mixed until homogeneous, then most likely, it will not suit you.
Here are some examples of foods that cannot be picked while eating out on keto diet:
- Cream soup. If you cook it in a keto version, then everything is fine, but in a restaurant, they often add potatoes, flour, starch, and even sugar to it.
- Dressing for meat, fish, salad. Mostly they are made with flour, starch, and sugar.
- Any ground meat dishes. They often are mixed with flour, bread, and so on.
- Pasta, pizza, lasagna, etc.
As we started listing them all, we realized that there were too many meals that should not be eaten on keto. It is better to describe the foods that you can actually eat.
Keto Diet for Beginners While Eating out
There is one critical principle. Everything you order should contain whole products! Don’t go for milled and homogenized meals. You should understand every product in your recipe, and it is better if there are not a hundred of them.
So, here is the list of keto diet meals for eating out:
- Steaks and barbecue options without dressings.
- Vegetable salads with oil dressing.
- Grilled vegetables.
- Cold meat and fish snacks.
- Warm and cold salads based on the listed products.
- Seafood, but be careful with seasonings.
You can find several types of listed products in any restaurant. When ordering, specify which seasoning and dressing the meal is served with and ask to oil a bit. Feel free to replace the potatoes/pasta included with vegetables!
However, you can eat a partially not recommended meal on a keto diet. For example, ask to serve your Caesar salad without crackers or just do not eat them. You will get a perfect keto-meal in such a case.
What Drinks Can You Order on a Keto Diet?
It is better to drink water, soda, tea, and coffee while eating out on a keto diet. But if you decide to support the company with alcohol, then remember that any alcohol on keto acts three times stronger! It is essential to realize it before, not after.
You should refuse these beverages if you are on a keto diet:
- All types of malt drinks, if you drink more than 0.3 liters.
- Sweet cocktails, martini, sweet, and semi-sweet wine.
- Unknown. If you don’t know what the drink contains and whether there are sugar and carbohydrates, it’s better not to drink it.
Here are the allowed drinks on keto:
- Dry wine. A glass or two.
- Strong alcohol without sugar and mixing — whiskey, vodka, cognac, and others.
Keto Diet Explained: Conclusion
So, it happened that you were invited for a holiday. Everyone around you is eating ordinary food, and you are in ketosis and do not want to leave it. What should you do? Here are some simple tips:
- Do not panic. If such celebrations take place less often than once a month, then one evening of carbohydrate loading is not a big deal. DO NOT eat sugar, and do not drink cola. Just follow the principles of keto: try to eat fewer carbohydrates and more fatty foods. Do not overeat — tomorrow, you will be back on keto.
- Do not eat carbs at all, except vegetables. There will be salads with greens in any restaurant. Each menu contains different foods, and you can eat what you want.
- The third most important tip is not to impose your family eating habits and principles on others unless they ask you to. It is a usual holiday, and you can celebrate with everyone, without having to convert them to your food style.
What do you prefer in restaurants when you’re maintaining a keto diet? Do you consider a keto diet safe? Please share your favorite dishes with us in the comments!
Do not deny yourself a vacation, but always remember why you began to change your eating habits. You will succeed!
About the Author
Adam Reeve is a keto lover and gym instructor. He has been practicing a ketosis diet for eight years and lost almost 70 lbs. Now he is enjoying the strength of his body and teaches others to take care of health and be fit.