Working out at home isn’t for everyone, but it can be a huge win for many when practiced effectively. Whilst gyms are now re-opening and fitness classes are recommencing, many people have decided that home workouts are in fact the best choice for their busy lifestyles. And getting a workout in when you’re juggling a family can prove even more difficult. That’s why staying fit at home might be the most realistic and ideal fit for you.
The Best Tips for Staying Fit Without Going to an Actual Gym
If you’ve let your current gym equipment fall by the wayside, things might be a bit dusty. And if you plan to share with others in your home, you’ll want to keep it clean! Therefore, it is advisable to clean and disinfect all equipment with disinfectant sprays and antibacterial wipes each time. This will minimize the risk of passing on germs to other people in the family, as well as ensuring a longer lifespan of your equipment. Here are some top tips for staying fit at home:
- Choose music that inspires you – Music is a very important factor that contributes a lot to the continuation of your activity. Be sure that you choose a playlist that inspires you endlessly, and will keep your energy levels high.
- Make space – If you are working out in your living room or dining space for example, try to have a comfortable place without objects that could endanger you. Falling objects from vibrations or slippery floors are incredibly dangerous.
- Find a muse on YouTube on Instagram – There are many ways to get inspired with thousands of videos for your workout. Choose a video based on the activities that you enjoy; whether that is a gentle yoga class, Pilates or something a little less intrusive, such as a dance class. There are plenty of things to find.
- Buy minimal equipment – You can always exercise sans equipment, but that might get a little boring after a while. But once you find a good rhythm, you’ll want to invest in some equipment. We suggest kettlebells, exercise balls, rubber hex dumbbells, a yoga mat, and perhaps if you’re feeling fancy, something such as a Peloton.
- My personal favorite for working out at home? Beachbody on Demand, hands down! I’ve tried dozens of different styles of workouts they provide, and it’s hard to choose a favorite. Plus, you’ll never realize just how much you can sweat in your living room!
Exercises You Can Easily Do At Home
Home exercises are becoming a chosen favorite for many people—and that likely will stay a preferred method of staying fit. And, if you have kids, sometimes it’s just easier to get it done at home versus dragging all the kiddos to the gym with you! To get started, here are some exercises for your arms, stomach, legs, and more…
- Plank with pelvic rotations – You must enter the plank position when you are leaning on your palms, then bring your knees once to the right and once to the left with a sort of twist in the pelvis. The exercise activates mainly the abdominal muscles and also the muscles of the back arm, shoulders, legs and buttocks.
- Wide push-ups – Start with your palms on the floor, and slightly more than the width of the mattress or shoulders. The idea in the exercise is to go down with the back straight. The exercise works on the chest muscles mainly, in addition to the muscles of the back arms and shoulder.
- Jumping in place with the knees raised – the goal is to lift the knees up towards the chest. The faster you do this, the higher your heart rate will be – it’s a great cardio workout!
- Want to tone those arms so that you’re ready to show them off no matter what season it is? Check out this short but highly-effective arm toning workout that boasts proven results!
- Want those jeans and leggings to hug your tight booty? Check out this set of exercises that’s perfect for plumping and toning your tush.
What are your secrets for staying fit at home? Share with us in the comments section!